Saint Louis University - 2013
MA - American Studies
Completed all coursework toward PhD.
Field Specializations: Rise of the New Right | The Idea of the American South | Social Movements
University of Colorado - 2006
MA - Journalism
Auburn University - 2002
BA - English BA - Mass Comm
5+ years of experience in political & non-profit organizing
5+ years of experience in Print, Online, & TV Journalism
1 year of experience in non-profit communication
Voter Activation Network (VAN) database
Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop
Non-linear Video Editing
CMS experience with Wordpress and Squarespace
Google Docs, including spreadsheets and forms
Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel & PowerPoint
MARCH 2017 - PRESENT
CAMPAIGNS DIRECTOR - LANSING, MI (Jan. 2018 - Present)
OUTREACH DIRECTOR - LANSING, MI (March 2017 - Jan. 2018)
APRIL 2016 - NOV 2016
POD LEAD - BROWARD COUNTY - Fort Lauderdale, FL (Sept - Nov 2016)
- Coordinated the day-to-day campaign activities to a cross-functional team of nine Pod departments, including the Organizing, Political, Communications, Data, Operations, GOTV, Training, Coalitions, and Digital departments.
- Managed an organizing staff of 72 organizers, six regional organizing directors, a deputy organizing director, a pod lead assistant, and three regional GOTV directors.
- The Broward Pod was the strongest performing POD in Florida – with the highest ROI per-organizing department staffer (in terms of volunteer shifts generated, volunteer retention, and voter contact attempts).
CHIEF OF STAFF - Tampa, FL (July - Sept 2016)
- Implemented a detailed field plan to the organization’s 550-person paid team through frequent and varied opportunities for staff skill-building and accountability.
- Collaborated with senior leadership at the campaign’s statewide HQ in Tampa to ensure interdepartmental coordination for the advantage of the organizing department.
DEPUTY ORGANIZING DIRECTOR - Tampa, FL (April - July 2016)
- Carried out the planning and development of a comprehensive training and hiring plan, including the recruitment, hiring, and on-boarding of more than 250 organizers and 25 regional organizing directors.
APRIL 2015 - APRIL 2016
HILLARY FOR AMERIcA, Columbia, SC
REGIONAL ORGANIZING DIRECTOR - Raleigh, North Carolina (March 2016)
- Managed a staff of 8 full-time organizers and implemented a detailed field plan that balanced ambitious voter contact and earned media goals.
REGIONAL ORGANIZING DIRECTOR - Columbia, South Carolina (April 2015 - Feb 2016)
- Managed a staff of 5 full-time organizers and 30 full-time and part-time organizing fellows, implemented a detailed field plan, and oversaw campaign activities across 26 counties in South Carolina, including the campaign’s field headquarters in Columbia, SC, during the "First in the South" Democratic Primary.
- Ran staff and volunteer trainings on a wide variety of concepts and skills, including time management, organizing/GOTV strategy, data management, core organizing skills, running events, and effective staff and volunteer management.
- Developed materials for training, on-boarding, and managing staff, including daily reporting tools for staff accountability.
- Used online tools and social marketing channels to create online communities that expanded the reach of the campaign’s message, which I mobilized into offline action.
FEB. 2015 - NOV. 2015
West Virginia Democratic party, Huntington, wv
FIELD DIRECTOR - WV03
- Wrote and implemented detailed, quarterly field plans.
- Hired, strategically placed, and directed a 26-person field operation, in addition to a paid canvass program, that was one of the most productive voter contact programs per-staffer among all Frontline Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) races during the 2014 cycle.
- Managed a $410,300 field budget that ended the campaign $9,900 under budget.
- Coordinated and cultivated relationships with state and national organizations, such as the West Virginia House Legislative Committee, the West Virginia Democratic Party, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and various labor organizations, including the AFL-CIO and United Mine Workers of America (UMWA).
- Exceeded three consecutive quarters of ambitious voter contact goals, in addition to exceeding GOTV voter contact goals (110% to goal), in a turf with very little history of volunteer engagement.
- Planned and executed earned-media events that garnered local print and broadcast coverage.
- Maintained and generated content for the program's digital footprint, including Twitter and Facebook.
JUNE 2013 - FEB. 2014
MASSACHUSETTS SENIOR ACTION COUNCIL, BOSTON, MA
- Carried out the planning and development of a comprehensive communications plan, including electronic and print media for a public policy and community issues-based grassroots nonprofit.
- Created and managed a Wordpress-based website.
- Developed a wide range of communications materials, including media kits, press releases, talking points and speeches, e-newsletters, factsheets, content for MSAC's websites and social media, and the publication of a quarterly newspaper, Senior Action Leader.
- Secured prominent media coverage, including the New York Times and 4 front-page Boston Globe stories.
- See my work samples, including press releases, factsheets, photos and other content from MSAC's transit equity campaign here.
APRIL 2012 - NOV. 2012
ORGANIZING FOR AMERICA, St. Louis, MO
REGIONAL FIELD ORGANIZER
- Implemented detailed field plans in seven Missouri State House districts in Metro St. Louis, MO for President Barack Obama’s 2012 Presidential Campaign.
- Ran regular calls and meetings, established hundreds of voter registration events and phone banks, organized city-wide watch parties, and provided training to more than 550 volunteers.
AUG. 2009 - MAY 2013
Saint louis university, st. louis, mo
INSTRUCTOR | GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT | CONFERENCE CHAIR
- Instructor, ASTD 361: “Twentieth Century Southern Culture,” Fall 2012. Download Syllabus.
- Conference Chair, “Politics of the Eye: Imagery of the American Political Landscape,” October 2012. Wrote the “Call for Papers,” reviewed conference submissions, arranged keynote speaker, and managed all event logistics for the visual culture conference that attracted scholars from more than a dozen universities from across the country. Download Call For Papers.
- Published Book Review: Michael McCollum. "Our South Geographic Fantasy and the Rise of National Literature by Jennifer Rae Greeson (review)." Southern Cultures 20.2 (2014): 107-108. Download Book Review.
JUNE 2007 - MARCH 2008
Steamboat pilot & Today, Steamboat springs, co
REPORTER - Education and Environment beats
- Visit my full Steamboat Pilot & Today reporting archive here.
- Wrote up to 3 daily news stories as the Education and Environment reporter, including a weekly front page feature story for teh Steamboat Pilot & Today, a daily 10,000+ circulation newspaper.
- 1st Place: Best Education Story, Colorado Press Association, 2008
- 1st Place: Best Feature Series (Team Award), Colorado Press Association, 2007
JUNE 2006 - JUNE 2007
MAY 2005 - JUNE 2006
AUGUST 2004 - JAN 2005
The DENVER POST, Denver, Co
JAN 2004 - APRIL 2004
GA Public Broadcasting, Atlanta, GA
REPORTER & VIDEOGRAPHER
- Reported and edited broadcast news stories for “Lawmakers,” a nightly, one-hour TV news program covering the Georgia General Assembly.